Re: OOM Test Case - Failed!

From: Byron Stanoszek (gandalf@winds.org)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 19:48:09 EST

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > The oom killer avoided killing your busy, large, root-owned
> > process. Don't run gcc compiles as root. Protecting root
> > processes is an explicit design goal here.
>
> Also:
>
> 1) his system pretty much continued to run
> 2) since only httpd children got killed, no work
> was lost

The system ran, but nothing moved. No process was able to do any activity,
because they were all waiting on swapped out space or waiting to use more
as-of-yet unallocated virtual memory. I could verify this because one of
my daemons writes one line to disk every 5 minutes. That stopped completely
during this event.

> (only the fact that he ran genattrtab as root screwed
> up things a bit and kept the system from killing the
> task -- but probably only just)

If I would have known, I would have done otherwise.

 -Byron

--
Byron Stanoszek                         Ph: (330) 644-3059
Systems Programmer                      Fax: (330) 644-8110