Re: syslog() blocks on glibc 2.1.3 with kernel 2.2.x

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:30:56 EST

On 23 Oct 2000, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
>Turning down the DNS timeout would affect *all* name resolution on the
>system, right? That is not acceptable.

You should be able to set it on a per-process basis (via an ENV var.)

>As I said, I already have a workaround, which is to have named log to
>a flat file. I agree that this is a poor workaround, and the "right
>fix" is to modify syslogd not to perform blocking operations. My only
>quibble is that SOCK_DGRAM is an odd transport to use here, even over
>AF_UNIX.

syslogd isn't the blocker. The syslog functions in glibc being called by
named are the problem. Stop named from blocking on syslog writes and the
world will be happy again. I've gotta ask what kind of "load" can cause
this to happen.

And for the record, syslogd shouldn't be doing DNS lookups for things
arriving via /dev/log -- that's always the local machine.

--Ricky