Re: make -j 2 broken?

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 16:22:22 EST

> Trying to compile the current kernel (test10-pre4) with:
>
> > make clean
> > make -j 2 bzImages modules modules_install
>
> will try to install the modules before they are built...
> This has previously been working (at least in early testX kernels).

I've done it before when I wasn't thinking, since it parallels those,
modules_install just calls modules_install. AFAIK, it doesn't depend on
modules actually being compiled.

Typically, I do:
make -j 20 dep;make -j 20 bzImage modules;make modules_install

Yes, I've heard about the paralleled dep problem (there was one, right?),
but it hasn't effected me.