Re: [help] TCP rate control and Linux TCP/IP Stack?

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 03:31:10 EST

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:11:15AM +0200, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm an Italian student and I'm doing a Master Thesis on TCP rate
> control.

   You have already posted this very same message to
        linux-net@vger.kernel.org
   and:
        netdev@oss.sgi.com
   lists. If you don't get reply from those (netdev mainly), the
   linux-kernel is not going to yield cheers either.

   People that know the networking code intimately are presently
   "somewhat" busy, Be patient, repeat this topic at netdev
   list after about a week.

> I've thought in /net/core/dev.c in function dev_queue_xmit.
> And, again, how can I associate the rate Ri to each TCP flow?

        TCP Timestamps ?
        (Which Linux does use if the other end supports them too.)

        Of course, what is "rate" ? Units of something per units
        of time ? Packets ? Payload bytes ? How does the size
        of payload data in the packets affect the "rate" ?

> Greetings,
> Paolo Castagna.

/Matti Aarnio