Re: Requirement of make oldconfig [was: Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 1.3.1, aka ...]

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 07:47:25 EST

> > No, we're just asking you to make the CML2 parser more tolerant of old
> > and possibly broken configs.
>
> It is _much_ easier on everybody involved to just bail out and ask the user
> (once!) to rebuild the configuration from scratch starting from the defaults.

No. Every new kernel changes the constraints so every new kernel you have
to reconfigure from scratch. That also makes it very hard to be sure you got
the results right.

oldconfig has a simple algorithm that works well for current cases

Start at the top of the symbols in file order. If a symbol is new ask the
user. If a symbol is now violating a constraint it gets set according to
existing constraints if not it gets set to its old value.

Alan