Re: Why Plan 9 C compilers don't have asm("")

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 10:53:30 EST

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:44:57AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> But if you don't do that, you don't need a stack frame. You just reload GP
> and jump back to the caller.

Hmm. Yes, that could work. We'd still be changing the ABI, since
the original source "bsr foo" would really mean "bsr foo+skip ldgp".
But perhaps one that wouldn't matter for all practical purposes.

This would need to be done with a new relocation type so that old
linkers that didn't handle this sort of thing choke, but that's not
a big deal.

If I find the time I may give it a shot and see what sort of
effect it has on typical code.

r~