Re: suggestions for new kernel hacking-HOWTO

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (acme@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 01:27:58 EST

Em Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:29:27PM +0100, Andrew Ebling escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering putting together a new, more in depth kernel hacking
> HOWTO.
>
> The existing HOWTO (by Rusty), although an excellent source of technical
> information does not contain much practical advice on how to get
> started.
>
> Therefore I would like to propose the following structure (for your
> comments):
>
> - Intro
> - Who is this document for etc.
> - Prerequisites
>
> - Key Kernel Concepts
> (placing these in a good order is important)
> - virtual memory/memory management
> - virtual file system/IO management
> - process/scheduling
> - contexts/interrupts/exceptions
> - system calls/signals/IPC
> - boot sequence
>
> - Kernel source tour
> What goes where in the source tree
>
> - Tools
> - source code navigation (lxr, cscope, tags)

sourcenav (http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav)
cflow (+ graphviz)

> - source code manipulation (vim, diff, patch, RCS/CVS)

interdiff

> - How do I... ?
> - Print messages to kernel logs
> - create a new module
> - Add a system call
> - write ioctls
> - Add a /proc entry
> - Write a driver for a new device
> - Add an option to the kernel configuation
>
> - Kernel Debugging
> - A word on debugging
> - Different approaches
> - local running kernel
> - UML
> - two box debugging (I have already write a sort of mini HOWTO
> on this, which can be found at
> http://www.kernelhacking.org/docs/2boxdebugging.txt)
> - Setting up
> - hardware
> - software
> - Preparing the source
> - Example debugging session
> - Troublshooting

kdb
ikd
linux trace toolkit

and here one could search all the DEBUG features already in the kernel
(WAITQÜEUE_DEBUG, SLAB poisoning, etc) and send a nice patch to Alan/Linus
so that it becomes configurable at make config/menuconfig/the others

> - Kernel Profiling
> How to find bottlenecks

linux trace toolkit, docs by Andrew Morton on low latency, etc

> - Hacking Tips
> - Avoiding deadlock
> <add to this list!>
>
> - Books

already in http://www.dit.upm.es/~jmseyas/linux/kernel/hackers-docs.html
and Documentation/kernel-docs.txt

> - Links
>
> - where to get help
> - mailing lists
> - irc
>
> - references
>
> I'm interested in hearing from seasoned kernel hackers (on what
> should/shouldn't go in this HOWTO) and newbies (what is particularly
> puzzling or not clear when setting out), hence the cross posting of this
> message.
>
> I do not have all the know how/experience required to write this
> document single handed, so I am also looking for willing volunteers to
> contribute their expertise/know how/tips and to proof read/make
> suggestions as the document progresses.
>
> My website (http://www.kernelhacking.org) will serve as a base for this
> project.
>
> best regards,
>
> Andy
>
> PS. Please post general discussion back to the list(s) as appropriate
> and post specific ideas/requests to my personal address only. Thanks :)

                        - Arnaldo