Re: SiS630 chipsets && linux 2.4.x kernel == snails pace?

From: John Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 16:55:41 EST

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Anders Peter Fugmann wrote:

> Hmm. It seems that these machines are in fact not identical.
> I would strongly suggest that you try to boot either one with another
> kernel, and see how it reacts.
>
> (if labrat6 is still fast using a 2.4 kernel, or if labrat5 is still
> slow with a 2.2 kernel, you have successfully shown a hardware/BIOS
> differnce between the two machines.)

labrat5+linux2.2.19 = decent response times
labrat6+linux2.2.19 = decent response times
firewall system + linux2.2.19 = decent response time

labrat5+linux2.4.x, where X=4,7,12 = painfully slow
labrat6+linux2.4.x, where X=4,7,12 = painfully slow
firewall system + linux2.4.x, where X=7 = painfully slow

> Another idea could be not to compile in SIS support.
> It might be that the driver is broken. The 2.2 kernel does not have
> support for the chipset, and uses general drivers instead. That should
> explain why throughput is higher in 2.4 kernel.

I'll try it. I just may reboot into 2.2.19, so that the compiles won't
take until kernel 2.6.2 is out. :/

I'm also thinking of calling up the hardware vendor and suggesting that
these boards be used for target practise, as the Intel 810 boards that
they were _supposed_ to replace appear to be superior.

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen1@umbc.edu)
-- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.