Re: the name "framebuffer"

From: Doug McNaught (
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 16:54:53 EST

Mihai Cartoaje <> writes:

> As you may recall from chemistry classes, a buffer is a solutee that
> reduces pH variations. Since the initials VGA in IBM's display
> adapter stand for, "video graphics array," I recommend changing the
> name of the devices from "framebuffer" to "video array." I shall
> like to know what other people think.

As you may recall, this isn't chemistry. ;)

In computer science, a "buffer" is a chunk of memory used for data
storage. The term "framebuffer" has been used for at least 10 years,
makes perfect sense, and is well understood.


Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Sat Dec 15 2001 - 21:00:29 EST