Re: Two issues with 2.4.18pre3 on PPC

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 12:25:25 EST

Tom Rini <trini@kernel.crashing.org>:
> Unless the user wants to use drivers/char/rtc.c because they're on a
> chrp or prep box.

OK, so the derivation right side should change a little (I'll take a patch).

The actual point is one of design philosophy. Instead of presenting the
ser with unnecessarily platform-specific questions, we should be asking
platform-independent (wherever this is possible) questions about the
*capabilities* he/she wants and mixing that wuith information about the
platform.

I'll go further than that. PP_RTC should probably never have existed
as a user-visible symbol and question in the first place, as it
duplicates what PPC is asking. The derivation should actually take
place somewhere in the C code of the PPC port tree.

Rapists just *love* unarmed women. And the politicians who disarm them. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/