Re: proc_file_read bug?

From: Thomas Hood (jdthood@mail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 10:00:12 EST

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 09:29, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> |> /* This is a hack to allow mangling of file pos independent
> |> * of actual bytes read. Simply place the data at page,
> |> * return the bytes, and set `start' to the desired offset
> |> * as an unsigned int. - Paul.Russell@rustcorp.com.au
> |> */

> It is documented, RTFC.

Comment or Code? The comment is somewhat ambiguous and incorrect.

Reading the code, I take it that "start" is either a pointer into
the buffer where the string of n data bytes starts, or else
(when it is assigned a value less than the beginning of the buffer)
it is a special value by which the file offset is to be adjusted,
instead of n. Thus the comment might be clarified:
    /*
     * This is a hack to allow adjusting the file offset
     * by a number different from the number of bytes read.
     * Simply place the data at page, return the number of
     * bytes read, and set "start" to the (signed long) amount
     * by which the file offset is to be increased or
     * decreased
     */

My question then is: why would one want to adjust the file
offset other than by +n?

--
Thomas