RE: Kernel module ethics.

From: Alexander Sandler (ASandler@store-age.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 07:05:36 EST

Hi.

My company developing some comercial product and one sunny day smart guys from our company decided to make Linux to support it.
I am the guy who had to do it. And I had almost exactly the same problems as you have.
What I did was following. First, we do not distribute sources. We distribute binary only. It was quite a problem because of version information on modules symbols. So, we asked from our clients to disable it when using our driver. As a result loading precompiled driver became possible. Currently I have to maintain two versions of the driver (UP and MP), but things can't be too perfect.
Another sunny day, one of our clients asked for a driver for Linux running on quad IA64 machine. Since we don't have such machine here, we had to give this client the sources, but before doing this, I scrambled the sources so it become completely impossible to read them and to modify them. The scrabler I used called cmunge. It was quite hard to use it for a driver since it's built for userland apps. but it is possible and I did managed to scramble the sources. And if you are afraid that it doesn't do it's job well anough, Well... trust me. It does!

This two ideas may help you with your problems as they did with mine.

Alexandr Sandler.