Re: Kernel SCM: When does CVS fall down where it REALLY matters?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 19:36:53 EST

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Jonathan A. George wrote:

> > 4) distributed repositories
> >
> > 5) ability to exchange changesets by email
>
> These can probably be in version 2...

Actually, I doubt Linus would let us use his repository,
aside from the scalability problems you get with 2000
people trying to use the same repository... ;)

> 1: If I have two changesets applied to a file, and I make a change to
> that file, which changeset is it to be associated with?

> 2: The ability to move a set of changes from one changeset into
> another one. ie: split that damn patch up!

Could be solved with branches, but that's not too clean
either. Splitting up patches is a hard problem ...

> But as a starting point I'd say: changesets as a first-class-concept,
> and lots of integration with tkdiff.

Agreed, changesets, branches and merging are the first
priority.

regards,

Rik

--