RE: 2.5.7,8-pre2 and USB

From: Rob Hall (rob@compuplusonline.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 09:47:50 EST

        Sorry guys,
        I was late getting home last night. I got my system backup and running to a
degree, and I'll send off my .config when I get home tonight after class.

Thanks

--
Rob Hall

-----Original Message----- From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org]On Behalf Of Rob Hall Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 5:59 PM To: Greg KH Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org Subject: RE: 2.5.7,8-pre2 and USB

Yes, it also happened if I just compiled USB core support in. I would try it again, but I broke my system upgrading glibc over the weekend(don't ask, I'm just going to build LFS). I think I have my .config saved, I'll send it when I get home this evening. When I had core and HC support built into the kernel, I also had full HID, usb-serial for handspring visors, usb mass storage, and joystick support. The same configuration has worked flawlessly on 2.4.x.

Thanks! -- Rob Hall

-----Original Message----- From: Greg KH [mailto:greg@kroah.com] Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 5:40 PM To: Rob Hall Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org Subject: Re: 2.5.7,8-pre2 and USB

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:44:17PM -0400, Rob Hall wrote: > I've tried both the OHCI and the OHCI-HCD drivers... But it's not getting > that far... the core is what's locking the system up. I probably should have > been more specific on that. If I load the USB core as a module after init > fires off, then USB works fine... if I compile it into the kernel, the USB > core locks the machine down right after detecting my PnP BIOS. It doesn't > get far enough to put anything into the system log.

Ah, ok. Haven't heard of this problem before. The USB core doesn't touch any hardware, but only initializes a few things, and adds a filesystem to the kernel if you've selected it as a option.

Does it also happen if you only build the USB core into the kernel, yet leave the host controllers and other drivers as modules?

Have you selected any USB drivers to be compiled into the kernel?

Can you send me your .config?

thanks,

greg k-h