Re: Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)

From: Dave Hansen (haveblue@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 00:42:38 EST

Feldman, Scott wrote:
>>Here is the lspci information, both -x and -vv. This is with
>>two of the e1000 single-port NICS side-by-side. I have also
>>strapped a P-IV CPU fan on top of the two cards to blow some
>>air over them....running tests now to see if that actually
>>helps anything. If it does, I'll be sure to send you a picture :)
>
> Ben, I checked the datasheet for the part shown in the lspci dump, and it
> shows an operating temperature of 0-55 degrees C. You said you measured 50
> degrees C, so you're within the safe range. Did the fans help?
>
> Here's the datasheet:
> http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/data_sheets/
> pro1000mt_sa.pdf

I get some strange e1000 failures too. It usually involves the
watchdog kicking them back into order, but sometimes they'll stay
offline for a while. Heat would explain it, though, because it only
happens when I'm actually using the cards for a benchmark. I figured
that it was either my cables, or a shoddy switch.

The new dual-port e1000 that I have doesn't seem to have this problem,
even though I'm running 4 times more traffic than the singles that I
had.

--
Dave Hansen
haveblue@us.ibm.com