Htree ate my hard drive, was: post-halloween 0.2

From: Duncan Sands (baldrick@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 01:27:52 EST

> EXT3 Htree support.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The ext3 filesystem has gained indexed directory support, which offers
> considerable performance gains when used on filesystems with large
> directories. In order to use the htree feature, you need at least version
> 1.29 of e2fsprogs. Existing filesystems can be converted using the command
> "tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hdXXX" The latest e2fsprogs can be found at
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs

I ran this (tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hdXXX).

After a bit of switching back and forth between 2.4.19 and 2.5.44,
fsck was run while booting 2.4.19 (the usual check because of >30
mounts). There was a message about optimizing directories. Booting
continued but (big surprise) X refused to run. It turned out that some
device files had vanished. Very strange. On rebooting, fsck found a
gazillion bad inodes. They all turned out to be from the 2.5.44 tree -
poetic justice I suppose! But this did not suffice. Rebooting, I got
"optimizing directories" again. Next fsck showed up more dud inodes.
After a few cycles of this, I ran

tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/hdXXX

to remove htree support. No problems since then.

Duncan.

PS: UP, no preempt.

tune2fs 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)
Filesystem volume name: <none>
Last mounted on: <not available>
Filesystem UUID: ee433ceb-6b14-45b1-894c-2a8aad1e280f
Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: has_journal needs_recovery
Filesystem state: clean
Errors behavior: Unknown (continue)
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 290816
Block count: 2315368
Reserved block count: 115768
Free blocks: 871842
Free inodes: 36718
First block: 0
Block size: 4096
Fragment size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Fragments per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 4096
Inode blocks per group: 128
Last mount time: Thu Oct 31 06:37:46 2002
Last write time: Thu Oct 31 06:37:46 2002
Mount count: 7
Maximum mount count: 30
Last checked: Wed Oct 30 11:50:37 2002
Check interval: 0 (<none>)