Re: [BENCHMARK] scheduler tunables with contest - prio_bonus_ratio

From: scott thomason (scott@thomasons.org)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 11:17:41 EST

On Wednesday 25 December 2002 01:29 am, Con Kolivas wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 09:26 am, scott thomason wrote:
> > My experiences to add to the pot...I started by booting
> > 2.5.52-mm2 and launching KDE3. I have a dual AMD MP2000+, 1GB
> > RAM, with most of the data used below on striped/RAID0 ATA/133
> > drives. Taking Andrew's advice, I created a continuous load with:
> >
> > while [ 1 ]; do ( make -j4 clean; make -j4 bzImage ); done
> >
> > ...in a kernel tree, then sat down for a leisurely email and web
> > cruising session. After about fifteen minutes, it became apparent
> > I wasn't suffering any interactive slowdown. So I increased the
> > load:
> >
> > while [ 1 ]; do ( make -j8 clean; make -j8 bzImage ); done
> > while [ 1 ]; do ( cp dump1 dump2; rm dump2; sync ); done
> >
> > ...where file "dump1" is 100MB. Now we're seeing some impact :)
> >
> > To combat this I tried:
> >
> > echo 3000 > starvation_limit
> > echo 4 > interactive_delta
> > echo 200 max_timeslice
> > echo 20 min_timeslice
> >
> > This works pretty well. The "spinning envelope" on the email
> > monitor of gkrellm actually corresponds quite nicely with the
> > actual feel of my system, so after awhile, I just sat back and
> > observed it. Both the tactile response and the gkrellm
> > obervations show this: it's common to experience maybe a .1--.3
> > second lag every 2 or 3 seconds with this load, with maybe the
> > odd .5 second lag occurring once or twice a minute. Watching the
> > compile job in the background scroll by, I noticed that there are
> > times when it comes to a dead stop. The next step, I guess, needs
> > to be a ConTest with the final settings...
> >
> > child_penalty: 95
> >
> > exit_weight: 3
> >
> > interactive_delta: 4
> >
> > max_sleep_avg: 2000
> >
> > max_timeslice: 300
> >
> > min_timeslice: 10
> >
> > parent_penalty: 100
> >
> > prio_bonus_ratio: 25
> >
> > starvation_limit: 3000
>
> Scott
>
> These don't correspond to your values listed above. Typo?
>
> Con

Yes, sorry. The values listed concisely are correct, IOW:

child_penalty: 95
exit_weight: 3
interactive_delta: 4
max_sleep_avg: 2000
max_timeslice: 200
min_timeslice: 20
parent_penalty: 100
prio_bonus_ratio: 25
starvation_limit: 3000

Now I need to fire up a ConTest, then off to Christmas with Grandma
and the kids! Merry Christmas to all!
---scott