Re: USB CF reader reboots PC

From: Eli Carter (eli.carter@inet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 12:50:06 EST

Murray J. Root wrote:
> Ooops - kernel 2.5.5[234]
>
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:51:30AM -0500, Murray J. Root wrote:
>
>>ASUS P4S533 (SiS645DX chipset)
>>P4 2GHz
>>1G PC2700 RAM
>>SanDisk SDDR-77 ImageMate Dual Card Reader (using only CF cards)
>>
>>----------------------------
>>devfs compiled in to kernel, devfs=nomount in lilo.conf
>>
>>Insert CF card. mount it. cd to it, do reads and/or writes
>>umount card. remove card.
>>insert a different card (does not happen if the same card is used)
>>mount it. system reboots. logs are corrupted
>>
>>Doesn't happen every time for read - sometimes I can read 2 or 3 cards first
>>Happens every time for write - if I write to a card then changing cards
>>causes a reboot

[snip]

Somewhat similar vein, but a different set of symptoms, I've seen a
RedHat box not see that the CF card changed...
(USB SanDisk CF & SD reader, also using only CF cards.)

insert 128MB CF card.
everything is ok.
remove 128MB CF card, still see 128MB partition
insert 256MB CF card.
see 128MB partition.
(based on /proc/partitions)

I've not followed this up to figure out why yet.
You might check that situation to see if yours is related at all.

Eli