Re: hda has changed heads

From: Michael Dreher (dreher@math.tu-freiberg.de)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 15:51:34 EST

Hello,

Am Samstag, 11. Januar 2003 23:16 schrieb Andries Brouwer:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:49:11PM +0100, Michael Dreher wrote:
> > Basically, I dont care about the new number of heads,
>
> Right
>
> > but now lilo complains like this (it did not complain before):
>
> Try giving LILO the keyword linear or lba32.
> Then it does not need any idea about the geometry at bootloader
> install time.

I tried, and it does not work.

karpfen:/home/dreher # lilo
Added testing *
Added linux
Added failsafe
Added linux-2.5.56
Added linux-2.5.54
Device 0x0300: Invalid partition table, 2nd entry
  3D address: 1/0/20 (20160)
  Linear address: 1/12/318 (321300)

Contrary to what it prints here, lilo has added nothing.

It should write the boot sector for windows on /dev/hda5, but can not
do that because it does not understand the partition table anymore.

My box is running 2.5.56 at the moment.
I wanted to install 2.5.58. But lilo refuses to change the MBR, because
of the number of changed heads. Even if I start it as lilo -L.

My solution is: reboot into 2.5.54. run lilo there. reboot into 2.5.58.
Repeat for 2.5.59.

This is annoying. Any ideas how to solve this ?

Thanks,
Michael