Re: debate on 700 threads vs asynchronous code

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 18:31:21 EST

Lee Chin wrote:
> Hi
> I am discussing with a few people on different approaches to solving a scale problem I am having, and have gotten vastly different views
>
> In a nutshell, as far as this debate is concerned, I can say I am writing a web server.
>
> Now, to cater to 700 clients, I can
> a) launch 700 threads that each block on I/O to disk and to the client (in reading and writing on the socket)
>
> OR
>
> b) Write an asycnhrounous system with only 2 or three threads where I manage the connections and stack (via setcontext swapcontext etc), which is progromatically a little harder

You could also write something with async non-blocking IO and use NO threads
(ie, just a single process), which
may greatly simplify the debugging of your program (unless the developer(s) on your
project are very good at threaded programming already).

I suspect the async IO will perform better as well, but that is just an
un-founded opinion based on not wanting to think about scheduling 700 processes
that want to do IO :)

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>