Re: 2.5.68 kernel no initrd

From: Kevin P. Fleming (kpfleming@cox.net)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 11:36:09 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:49:54 +0200, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Pawe=B3_Go=B3aszewski?= said:
>
>>initrd gives much more flexibility.
>>I can make one kernel and use it on _all_ of my mashines, just change
>>initrd. quick, nice and flexible with proper initrd tools set.
>

> Amen. initrd isn't just for modules - I'd not need an initrd at all if I could
> figure out how to start up an LVM volume group from kernelspace - I suspect
> people with / on a RAID disk have similar issues...

Well, even though I'm working on a solution to that, it still involves
early userspace, just not the heavyweight "fake root" userspace that an
initrd represents. This is what the initramfs technology in 2.5.X is
for, so eventually (soon, hopefully) you'll be able to start md devices,
LVM volume groups, etc. from early userspace and not have to have any
autostart logic in the kernel nor will you have build and maintain an
initrd separate from the kernel.