Re: how to turn off, or to clear read cache?

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 17:50:37 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On 20 August 2003 14:52, Sergey Spiridonov wrote:
> > I need to make some performance tests. I need to switch off or to clear
> > read cache, so that consequent reading of the same file will take the
> > same amount of time.
>
> umount/mount cycle will do it, as well as intentional OOMing the box
> (from non-root account please;)

umount/mount is impractical when you're testing performance on a big
filesystem, which is always being used (e.g. /home).

I'm fairly sure that -o remount used to have this side effect, in fact
I used it quite a lot for that purpose, so it should be possible to
make it work again, or add a -o flushcache option.

-- Jamie