Poor IPSec performance with 2.6 kernels

From: Tom Sightler
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 21:39:40 EST

Hi all.

I'm looking for suggestions as to why my IPSec performance is so bad
when using the built in 2.6 IPSec implementation.

My setup is pretty simple, a tunnel with a Watchguard Firebox on one end
and an AMD K6/333 on the other end running Redhat 9. I've used two
different IPsec implementations on the Linux system, one is
SuperFreeS/WAN with a patched Redhat kernel using the available SRPMS
and the other is the built-in 2.6 IPSec code with racoon.

My Internet connection is a DSL circuit that typically delivers about
150KB/s. When I connect with SuperFreeS/WAN my VPN throughput is quite
good, averaging about 125KB/s (this seems about reasonable with
overhead) but when making the identical connection with racoon and the
2.6 kernel I can only achieve 50KB/s. I've been unable to come up with
any reason why this would be the case.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Later,
Tom