RE: MSI fix for buggy PCI/PCI-X hardware

From: Nakajima, Jun
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 17:22:17 EST

Jeff, Hi.

How about the default behavior? I'm not a fan of disable_msi(), because
we need to update the driver as we find problems, and we cannot predict
which PCI/PCI-X devices in the world have such a problem, although we
know some will. The workaround in drivers/pci/quirk.c is much better,
compared to modifying the driver, but we still need to update the file
(and rebuild the kernel) as we find problems.

In my opinion, we might want to use drivers/pci/quirk.c to blacklist PCI
Express devices if any (hope not). For PCI/PCI-X devices, we might want
to enable MSI once verified for it. To that end we can also use
drivers/pci/quirk.c to whitelist them (or it's abuse?). That way we can
avoid situations like "it hangs, it does not get interrupts", "disable
ACPI, oh no, MSI".

Thanks,
Jun

Nguyen,