Re: Horrible ordeals with ACPI, APIC and HIGHMEM (2.6.0-test* and -ac kernels)

From: Martin Aspeli
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 17:14:45 EST

fixes acpi pci link allocation which could pick a bad irq causing an
interrupt storm. typical symptom was hang on boot.

Well, the hang only occurs when Local APIC was enabled. If Local APIC is taken out of the kernel, it boots, but events/0 starts eating my entire CPU and the fan is constantly on. I can't tell whether this is because events/0 is eating my CPU and hence it's running hot, or if it's (partially) unrelated.

I'm still a little lost as to what Local APIC does (apart from being an interrupt controller) or how it's related to ACPI (apart from obvious puns), or indeed whether or not my Penium-M has one.

You say stray ACPI events could cause keventd to chew CPU. It does seem likely. What would cause a runaway ACPI event? How would I stop one (apart from acpi=off, of course, which leaves me IRQ less).

Conversely, I suppose - is it possible to give IRQs to my sound card and the four or five other unidentified pieces of hardware that get no IRQ at boot, manually even? I'm a little worried this may leave me fan-less, although the BIOS seems to be turning the fan on sometimes if I boot with acpi=off.

And why do things run like a 286 when I enable HIGHMEM?
I don't know, it shouldn't.

I most whole-heartedly agree!

Thank you for all your help!

Martin