In-kernel Gopher server

From: John Bradford
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 04:29:46 EST

Apparently my suggestion of a couple of weeks ago, for an in-kernel
gopher server to aid remote administration and configuration, wasn't
clear enough.

Having just read:

http://lwn.net/Articles/53019/

I get the impression that I was understood to be suggesting we
implement a generic in-kenrel gopher server, much like the kernel
webserver that was removed.

The point is that if you look after systems that are on-line 24-hours
a day, being able to have a look at data in /proc, or the .config of
the current kernel from a portable device would be quite useful, if
you suddenly start getting calls saying something like a webserver
isn\'t responding.

Implementing a web-based interface to such data is all very well until
you want to access it on a device the size of a wristwatch.

John.