Re: [Dri-devel] Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] DRM and pci_driver conversion

From: Ingo Oeser
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 09:38:36 EST

On Saturday 25 October 2003 21:17, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Graphics processors are growing more general, too -- moving towards
> generic vector/data processing engines. I bet you'll see an optimal
> model emerge where you have some sort of "JIT" for GPU microcode in
> userspace. Multiple apps pipeline X/GL/hardware commands into the JIT,
> which in turn pipelines data and microcode commands to the GPU kernel
> driver.

These "JIT" is needed also for another reason:

There are contraints for GPU commands and the pipelines need to
be modelled, like CPU piplines are modelled in a compiler. But
more like the pipelines of some early long instruction word
processors, where issuing to a used pipeline will cause random
behavior and crashes. So the JIT doesn't should also emit
synchronization points.

With this JIT in place, there need to be just some hardware description
files (backends) and some API (GL, DirectX, X) description files
(frontends).

Now we just need some funding for that and the datasheets. Then it's
doable.

I see just one showstopper: Cheating in benchmarks isn't possible anymore.

PS: That's basically the GGI approach taken further.

Regards

Ingo Oeser