Re: VIA on-chip RNG and crypto...

From: Nuno Silva
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 22:56:08 EST

Hi Jeff!

Jeff Garzik wrote:

VIA has publicly posted the docs for the 'xstore' and 'xcrypt' instructions in their processors:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/c3.jsp

(grab "VIA Padlock {ACE|RNG} Programming Guide" down at the bottom)

You forgot the "journalist touch". To spike interest:

"PadLock ACE encrypts at rates of up to 12.5 Gigabits per second (Gbps) with a 1GHz VIA C3 processor, more than eight times faster than the best software AES implementation from a power hungry 3GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 processor based system that encrypts at a rate of a mere 1.5 Gbps."

25 times faster, clock by clock :)

Regards,
Nuno Silva

[...]

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, neither VIA nor my employer prompted me to write this.

The same here.