Re: Fwd: Re: Working nforce2, was Re: Fixes for nforce2 hard lockup, apic, io-apic, udma133 covered

From: Ross Dickson
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 09:32:21 EST

>> APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
> > what?? no crash though.
> [...]
> > bob@where cat /proc/interrupts
> > CPU0
> > 0: 3350153 IO-APIC-edge timer
> > 1: 5775 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> > 8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> > 9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
> > 12: 5385 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> > 14: 10 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> > 15: 10 IO-APIC-edge ide1
> > 16: 1717957 IO-APIC-level ide2, ide3, eth0
> > 19: 472929 IO-APIC-level ide4, ide5
> > 21: 0 IO-APIC-level NVidia nForce2
> > NMI: 822
> > LOC: 3350073
> > ERR: 35
> > MIS: 15818

>It looks like the infamous APIC delivery bug -- the "MIS" counter shows
>how many level-triggered interrupts has been erronously delivered as
>edge-triggered ones. No wonder the system shows instability -- you have
>noise problems at the APIC bus.

Thanks Maciej
I was wondering about those, I had seen the work around code and would not
have thought it need apply to recent athlon chipsets?

For comparison here is my proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 50462204 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 49153 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
12: 395912 IO-APIC-edge PS/2 Mouse
14: 995872 IO-APIC-edge ide0
15: 283 IO-APIC-edge ide1
16: 3921102 IO-APIC-level nvidia
18: 2 IO-APIC-level bttv
20: 136325 IO-APIC-level eth0, usb-ohci
21: 146903 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd, NVIDIA nForce Audio
22: 0 IO-APIC-level usb-ohci
NMI: 0
LOC: 50457798
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

Albatron KM18G-Pro, nforce2, pheonix bios, 2200XP, 255fsb, ddr400,
ide0 is hard drive, ide1 is cdrom, nmi watchdog off

Report seems OK but this machine locks up hard without the apic delay patch.

I am currently trying the simpler v1 (always add a delay) patch but on all apic
acks as per this posting