Re: 2.6.1-rc1 [resend]

From: Paolo Ornati
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 13:09:56 EST

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 17:31, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> Paolo Ornati wrote:

> >>Could you try this with elevator=deadline?
> >
> > ok, I have just tried...
> > I don't see any big difference.
>
> Wasn't it mentioned in another thread related to a drop in ide
> performance that there is possibly some bug in the ide code that ends up
> requiring you to set the readahead on all your devices to see the max
> performance of any one?
>
> set all the readaheads of all your ide devices to 8192 You should see
> the best peformance doing this.

No, I have just try it but I don't see any changes.

My question is about a strange change of "behaviour" in IDE performance
changing readahead.

Here I report a new thing that I've noticed today:

Kernel 2.6.0:

o readahead up to 224:
when I run "hdparm -t /dev/hda" the HD LED light up... and after a while
light down

o readahead > 224:
running "hdparm" the HD LED starts blinking... and then light down

The best performance are riched with values between 128 and 224 --> IOW when
the HD led starts blinking the performance diminish...

Kernel 2.6.1-rc1:

the HD LED starts to blink with readahead = 16 !!!
Why?

BYE

--
Paolo Ornati