Re: 2.4.24 and exec-shield-2.4.23-G4

From: Philip Dodd
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 15:52:32 EST

Dr. Greg Wettstein wrote:
8<

The preliminary indications I have indicate there are problems.

I applied the 2.4.23-G4 patch from Ingo with the same results you had,
ie the the mmremap offset and Makefile failures. Compiled and
rebooted the kernel on a test machine.

XFree86 4.3.0 with the RedHat patches now fails to start with a SIG11
error. Turning off exec-shield (echoing 0 to
/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield) enables XFree to start normally.

So it would seem that something changed with the mremap changes in
2.4.24.
8<

Just out of interest, were you running the same config (boot params etc.) before moving to 2.4.24?

Have you looked at this page: http://people.redhat.com/mingo/exec-shield/ANNOUNCE-exec-shield

In particular the X workaround option. I believe there are known issues with some versions of X and this patch, but the box I use it on isn't running X, so I use exec-shield=3 and have had no problems with the 2.4.23-G4 patch on 2.4.24..... yet :-)

Thanks for the reply,

Phil

--
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments