2.6.1: modprobe behaves strange

From: Detlef Grittner
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 15:11:28 EST

Hello,

I'm using the x86_64 architecture branch and have simply copied the kernel into my configuration of a 2.4.21 kernel.

I have the following lines in /etc/modules.conf:

alias eth0 r8169

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx

With the 2.4.21 kernel everything worked fine, with the 2.6.1 kernel I get the following behavior:

modprobe eth0
(no error, but r8169 not loaded)

modprobe r8169
(module r8169 is loaded and works)

modprobe snd-card-0
(FATAL: Modul snd_card_0 not found)

modprobe snd-via82xx
(module snd-via82xx is loaded and works)

I'm not really a kernel expert and so I have to ask:
Am I right, that this could be a problem of the kernel?
Is this the wildcard problem that was fixed in mm1?
Should I try mm1 or where should I begin to search for the problem?

Detlef