Re: PATCH 1/2: Make gotoxy & siblings use unsigned variables

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 13:45:56 EST

Andries Brouwer wrote:
Shouldn't we be using "size_t" for unsigned int

You might be right. I was just being consistent with the other definitions.

These are character positions on a screen.
When did you last see a console in text mode with a line length
of more than 2^31 ?

If you go for a minimal patch then you should replace "char"
in one or two places by "unsigned char" and that is all.

Are these screen positions or offsets into the string for the line? The reason I ask is that with a 2-byte character set no char is going to do the latter reliably, not only do people run 132 col mode with vt100 windows, just hitting the "full screen" button with most WM will give you >127 columns.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc