re: FW: Linux device driver using c++!

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 10:05:54 EST

Jinu wrote:
Is there someway I can make use of a OS independent C++ code. This code has classes, new, delete etc.. My plan was to build a static library using the C++ code and then write a simple OS interface module which has the init, cleanup, read, write, ioctl etc but calls C++ functions in the library.

Is this scenario possible?

Sure, just port it to C.

Seriously, you can do it in C++, but you'll hate yourself
afterwards, and nobody in the Linux community will support
you when you have problems. C++ just does not mix well
with the Linux kernel. This is not a shortcoming of the
Linux kernel; this is a fairly well-founded design decision,
discussed to death once every six months.

If you do decide to pursue it, do it in a way that does
not require any patches to the kernel source, and please
do NOT submit any patches related to this to the linux kernel mailing list.

- Dan