Re: 2.6.3-rc3 (and possibly earlier 2.6): weird hang and oopses

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 15:15:55 EST

Len Brown wrote:
Alessandro,
Sure looks like a failure in the ACPI processor driver.

Please confirm your system is otherwise happy when you disable the
processor driver. eg. CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=n

Also, it would be helpful to know if this failure started recently or
you saw it in previous releases, b/c we've made some changes to the
processor driver recently.

Will run from now for a couple of weeks with CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=n;
I checked my logs and noticed my first hang happened with 2.6.2, but
so far I only experienced the problem twice since Feb 6.

I just now noticed that in /var/log I have the full Oops traces
(until I Alt-SysRq'd out of it), so I'm attaching them; would you
please take a further look and confirm this is _only_ an ACPI-related
issue ?

messages.gz is 2.6.3-rc3, messages.2.gz is 2.6.2 vanilla.

thanks,
-Len

ps. acpi-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the preferred alias to send
Linux ACPI issues -- it includes linux-acpi@xxxxxxxxx which is a small
sub-set.

OK, thanks for the info, will do next time.

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 17:47, Alessandro Suardi wrote:

[CC:ing linux-acpi since some acpi stuff appears in backtraces]

While apparently doing nothing special (possibly a 'rm' on a
regular ext3 filesystem) my laptop hung. Not completely, as
I could

* switch virtual desktops within Ximian Desktop 2
* click on the kill window top right button, see the "app is
not responding, kill it anyway ?" dialog, say ok, see the
gnome-terminal vanish
* Alt-Fn to virtual consoles, type a login name (but getting
no prompt for the password - this hung)
* Alt-SysRq

Many thanks,

--alessandro