Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 021 release

From: Dominik Kubla
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 01:39:40 EST

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:09:57PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
I've released the 021 version of udev. It can be found at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-021.tar.gz

Nice work, but I ran into a problem on my Debian system and i did use
the udev-019 permissions file for Debian. What's the story here anyway?

I seem to be unable to assign group "cdrom" to my ATAPI DVD/CD-RW drive.
It appears to me that the permissions syntax is missing a possibility to
overide the owner/group based upon the class of the device.

Is there a way to distinguish between CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and writers? It is
not unusual these days to have at least a DVD-ROM and CD-Writer in a
desktop system. If you look at the latest offers from Dell you will see
that they tend to include a DVD-ROM and a DVD+RW drive in at least some
configurations. So it would be nice if udev would be able to create
links like "cdwriter", "dvd" and "dvdwriter" out of the box. (And assign
the appropriate group to the device nodes...)

Regards,
Dominik
--
Confirmed bachelor:
A man who goes through life without a hitch.