Re: kgdb for mainline kernel: core-lite [patch 1/3]

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 06:11:13 EST

"Amit S. Kale" <amitkale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday 08 Mar 2004 3:56 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > "Amit S. Kale" <amitkale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Here are features that are present only in full kgdb:
> > > 1. Thread support (aka info threads)
> >
> > argh, disaster. I discussed this with Tom a week or so ago when it looked
> > like this it was being chopped out and I recall being told that the
> > discussion was referring to something else.
> >
> > Ho-hum, sorry. Can we please put this back in?
>
> Err., well this is one of the particularly dirty parts of kgdb. That's why
> it's been kept away. It takes care of correct thread backtraces in some rare
> cases.

Let me just make sure we're taking about the same thing here. Are you
saying that with kgdb-lite, `info threads' is completely missing, or does
it just not work correctly with threads (as opposed to heavyweight
processes)?

> If you consider it an absolutely must, we can do something so that the dirty
> part is kept away and info threads almost always works.

Yes, I'd consider `info threads' support a must-have. I'm rather surprised
that others do not?