Re: unionfs

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 12:37:51 EST

On Tue, 16 March 2004 12:04:30 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > I don't see how you win nothing. I create an overlay filesystem.
>
> Completely empty is what you get then... and you have to explicitly link in
> each file. Or everything shows up here.

Correct. Is that a problem?

> > delete a bunch of files in the overlay and it doesn't show through.
>
> Next time you mount it, what happens? How do you know the "top files" where
> deleted, and should not show up?
>
> What happens if I mount the live 2.6.4 kernel source over a CD containing
> 2.5.30? What happens to identical files, files that moved, changed files,
> deleted files? Pray tell, how does the kernel find out which is which?

What happens if I write to /dev/hda while having my rootfs /dev/hda1?
Bad things, damn right. But why would anyone do that?

Can you tell me what the point behind your examples is? It escapes
me.

> How do you back up a beast like this?

- Use a really large tape (stupid).
- cp /dev/... backup_medium
- Backup software with a clue about the underlying fs.

> In any case, there are tools that create a farm of symlinks, and when you
> try to write to a file (pointing to a RO area/file), you get an error. This
> gives you 90% of what you want, _without_ aggravating the filesystem
> hackers.

Great, so you found *your* solution already. I've done the same
without the need for symlinks in a 90-line patch, good enough for my
immediate needs right now. But someday I'd like to have the remaining
10% as well. :)

> > I would dearly love to use something like to make it easy to track
> > changes made all over a source tree. If I could sync them up at the
> > begining, then make all my changes in the overly, then doing a diff is
> > really easy since you just look for places where the inodes are
> > different between the two filesystems. Like having hard links, but the
> > filesystem breaks them for you when you write.
>
> This is called BitKeeper, CVS, Subversion, arch, RCS, SCCS, ... Better yet,
> it keeps the history of each file (not just the one version on RO media),
> with annotations. You decide when a version is ready for archiving.
>
> Sure, this would save disk space. But at today's prices, it just is not
> worth the trouble.

Not true:
- Even with bitkeeper, people copy their complete tree before making
changes, at least Linus sais he does. Go back to start, do not
collect $2000.
- Copying the kernel tree is not just a question of space and money,
but also about time.
- When the time and disk hit of identical copies approaches zero,
people will do this a lot more, they have new possibilities. *That*
is really important, not doing the same as before, just slightly
optimized.

Jörn

-- Albert Einstein