Re: In-kernel Authentication Tokens (PAGs)

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 18:53:01 EST

On Jun 15, 2004, at 18:07, Chris Wright wrote:
* Kyle Moffett (mrmacman_g4@xxxxxxx) wrote:
One thing that I would very much like to have is the ability to create
a new
shell with a new keyring, such that I can still see and use the old
keyring,
but I can create new keys without modifying the old keyring, even to the
extent of masking out keys in the old keyring without modifying them for
other processes. From my brief glance at your patch, that's not a
feature you have implemented.
Sounds like a CLONE_KEYRING flag?

I think the two concepts are unrelated. You should not be required
to create a new thread/process/task in order to give yourself a
separate key-ring, and it would be plain stupid to have one mode
of the clone() syscall that doesn't create a new task but instead
changes key-rings Take Apache and suexec PHP for example: it
would be very useful to be able to have a key-ring owned by the
root user that contains the AFS keys Apache uses to access files.
Then when it runs a suexec PHP script, it adds a new key-ring
owned by "someuser" to the process (without doing a clone()).
It does a seteuid("someuser"), then proceeds with the PHP code.
That gives the user's PHP its own key-ring context, and protects
the parent's key-ring. When done it removes "someuser"'s keys
and does seteuid(0).

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett