Re: machine hangs - SLES9/NFS

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 12:08:47 EST

På to , 01/07/2004 klokka 08:00, skreiv Shylendra Bhat:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking answers for the following questions.
>
> Is nfs file lock acquired by client, persistent across the nfs server
> reboot?
> I know that this feature was not there in NFSv3. Does NFSv4 supports
> this?

FUD. The lock manager for NFSv3 does reclaim locks if the server
reboots.

> After the nfs service restart, the client fails to release the lock and
> is in a hung state. If the mount directory is listed, it shows
>
> "bash: cd: /export: Stale NFS file handle"

Which means that the server is screwed up. Two possibilities: either

1) you have a fibrechannel back end or something like that which
doesn't have a fixed device number: you can fix that by using
the "fsid" export option.

2) The filesystem you are exporting is using non-permanent inode
numbers (FAT filesystems are a prime example). Sorry: no
workaround for this other than converting to another filesystem.

Cheers,
Trond