Re[2]: NFS problem with 2.6.9-rc1-bk7

From: Harry Edmon
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 16:45:27 EST

Well, the mount of /proc/fs/nfs helped, but it pointed out another problem. In my exports file have entries like the following:

/home/data stormy.atmos.washington.edu(rw,sync,no_root_squash) pond91.drizzle.com(rw,sync,insecure) flake.atmos.washington.edu(rw,sync,no_root_squash) dry.atmos.washington.edu(rw,sync,no_root_squash) viking.atmos.washington.edu(rw,sync,insecure) damp(rw,sync,no_root_squash) *.atmos.washington.edu(rw,sync)

When I mount the nfsd file systems, machines individually listed in the exports file have problems mounting the disk - they either get "permission denied", or the mount hangs. As soon as a shut down the nfs server, unmount nfsd, and start it up again the hung mounts finish (just stopping and starting does not fix the problem). If I replace the wildcard entry with a netgroup entry the problem does not occur with nfsd mounted.

Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
På on , 01/09/2004 klokka 12:06, skreiv Harry Edmon:
> I have been trying newer versions of the kernel on a web/NFS server
> tofix memory problems that seem to be associated with NFS for all
> 2.6versions through 2.6.8.1-mm4. Andrew Morton suggested I try the
> latestsnapshot. With this version (2.6.9-rc1-bk7) I have the problem
> that NFSclients will spontaneously find themselves without permission
> to accessthe files on the server. When I type "exportfs -ar" on the
> server, theclients get better for awhile, and then fail. The message
> I see on theserver is:
>
> Sep 1 08:17:57 funnel rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not
> permitted

Looks like that is more of a question for Neil Brown than for me.

That said 2.6 kernels require more recent versions of nfs-utils, and
require you to mount the "nfsd" pseudofilesystem on /proc/fs/nfsd or
/proc/fs/nfs (see the "exportfs" manpage). Have you checked that this is
indeed the case?

Cheers,
Trond

-- Dr. Harry Edmon E-MAIL: harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 206-543-0547 harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Dept of Atmospheric Sciences FAX: 206-543-0308 University of Washington, Box 351640, Seattle, WA 98195-1640