Re: 2.6.9-rc1-bk11+ and 2.6.9-rc1-mm3,4 r8169: freeze during boot(FIX included)

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 16:18:30 EST

Francois Romieu wrote:
Jon Mason <jdmason@xxxxxxxxxx> :
[...]

Before I make any sweeping comments about the performance on ppc64, I should probably do some more tests. I'll have to get back to you regarding that.

Would you like me to run the "Config2" patch on my amd64 system?

Please do. If I read you correctly, 2.6.9-rc2-bkX works (more or less)
on both your ppc64 and amd64 systems, right ?

No, still broken. But I don't see any change at all in 2.6.9-rc2-bk5. This is on amd64, with 32-bit slots (I think).

BTW, the crash is not immediate. It takes several seconds after trying to send/recieve.

I say _trying_ because I can't ping anything. I haven't had time before the crash to figure out what's wrong, but the device at the other end does flash that a packet came through the wire.

FWIW, it looks like init_board is setting PCIDAC in tp->cp_cmd but that isn't updated to the card until after the rx ring is filled in r8169_open. This seems suspicious, since DMA memory is being allocated possibly in >32-bit addresses but the card hasn't been told to support that. Fixing this doesn't seem to help, though...

Turning off high DMA fixes it. Maybe it just needs to be disabled until someone figures out what's going on.

--Andy