Re: 2.6.9-rc1-bk11+ and 2.6.9-rc1-mm3,4 r8169: freeze during boot (FIX included)

From: Francois Romieu
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 16:45:12 EST

Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
[...]
> FWIW, it looks like init_board is setting PCIDAC in tp->cp_cmd but that
> isn't updated to the card until after the rx ring is filled in
> r8169_open. This seems suspicious, since DMA memory is being allocated
> possibly in >32-bit addresses but the card hasn't been told to support
> that. Fixing this doesn't seem to help, though...

rtl8169_hw_start() writes the CPlusCmd register before the ring descriptor
adresses are set. Can you elaborate why it would not be enough ?

Btw the r8169 driver in 2.6.9-rcX does not advertise NETIF_F_HIGHDMA: where
would a >32 bit address come from ?

> Turning off high DMA fixes it. Maybe it just needs to be disabled until
> someone figures out what's going on.

I am cooking a patch for it (+ check for PCI error).

As a side note, the r8169 chipset does not like DAC to be enabled on a
32bit system. I got the usual PCI error reported while trying it.

--
Ueimor