Re: [BUG] JVM crashes with 2.6.9-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 17:01:10 EST

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> Sun JVM 1.4.2_06 crashes with Linux 2.6.9-rc2 and later on i386 when I
> start Eclipse. The JVM dies a horrible death claiming internal error.

Hmm.. The strace is pretty nondescript, because the abort happens in some
other thread than the initial one. That said:

> I noticed similar problem with Blackdown JDK 1.4.2_rc1 as well. I have
> put a full strace of the run here [1].
>
> I also tested 2.6.7, 2.6.8.1, and 2.6.9-rc1 and they all work fine.
> Reverting Roland's i386 syscall tracing patch [2] from 2.6.9-rc2 makes
> the problem go away for me.

That's just _weird_. For one, Roland's patch should only matter when
tracing or auditing. For another, it shouldn't matter then either ;)

Can you double-check your test setup (and the kernel you tested) just
because I don't see how that patch can matter.

Linus