Re: Documentation - what work is being done?

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 06:22:18 EST

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:44:41PM -0400, Jim Nelson wrote:

> Is there any effort being made to update the stuff in the Documentation
> directory? Most of the files in there are massively out of date. I'd
> like to work on it - but I didn't see an entry for documentation in the
> MAINTAINERS file. I googled around for mailing lists for kernel
> documentation, but the two I found have been dead for some time.
>
> I think the whole directory needs an overhaul, but there's a lot of
> people's work in there (and I'd hate having my work torn to pieces by a
> rank amatuer), and I'd like some feedback on where to start, what to
> leave alone, what's there for historical interest, and what is
> critically needed.

Hi Jim,

some documentaion is well maintained while other documentation is no
longer maintained. If it's maintained, the maintainer of the
corresponding code is also responsible for the documentation.

If you have a plan how to restructure the documentation mail it to
linux-kernel and you'll hear the opinion of other people.

Everything else has to be done on a file-per-file basis and usually
requires a knowledge of the topic a documentation file covers.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed