Re: Reserving a syscall number

From: linux-os
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 14:23:55 EST

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, John Richard Moser wrote:

How would one go about having a specific syscall number reserved in
entry.S? I'm exploring doing a kill inside the kernel from a detection
done in userspace, which would allow the executable header of the binary
to indicate whether the task should be killed or not; if it works, the
changes will likely not go into mainline, but will still require a
non-changing syscall index (assuming I understood the syscall manpage
properly).

On a side note, if a syscall doesn't exist, how would that be detected
in userspace?
- --

Look at ld.so.preload for potential capabilities to control any
executable.

Also what's the problem with sending the task a signal when
the detection has been done?

If the usual capabilites are not sufficient, then make
a driver (module).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached and reviewed by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.