Re: Why my computer freeze completely with xawtv ?

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 04:50:30 EST

On Maandag 08 November 2004 09:30, Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:

> I suspect two things:
> - there is some bug in bttv and similar drivers (DVB) that corrupts memory
> related with internal mm and vfs structures or does something equally bad,
> - or maybe PCI bandwitch is overflowed, but I do not think it should
> happen.
>
> But it is very hard to prove any of these I am afraid.

I have the problem as well since I moved from my K6-II to an Opteron based
system. As a workaround, I only use the card in grab mode instead of
overlay, this reduces the frequency of the crashes from once per 30 minutes
to once per month.

Someone also suggested the problem might be related to the old bt848
(ca. 1997) chip not behaving well on modern PCI buses.

Arnd <><