RE: GPL Violation of 'sveasoft' with GPL Linux Kernel/Busybox +code

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 04:28:49 EST

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2004-11-09 at 20:23, David Schwartz wrote:
> > Yes, they do. The whole point of the "additional restrictions" clause is to
> > *prohibit* other contracts or obligations that act to restrict your ability
> > to exercise the rights under the GPL.
>
> Correct. But you can exercise your rights under the GPL in this case.

Let's slightly modify the parameters...

What if someone would offer you binaries (under the GPL) if you sign a contract
that you will have to pay 100000 EUR (or 100000000 EUR, or ...) if you exercise
your rights under the GPL?

According to your reasoning, this is allowed, since you can still exercise your
rights under the GPL. But in practice this would mean that someone found out
how to take GPL software, and not give back...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds