Re: 2.6.10-rc1-mm5

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 17:48:17 EST

"Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That works. But something broke shmem:
>
> ipc/shm.c:171: error: `shmem_set_policy' undeclared here (not in a function)
> ipc/shm.c:171: error: initializer element is not constant
> ipc/shm.c:171: error: (near initialization for `shm_vm_ops.set_policy')
> ipc/shm.c:172: error: `shmem_get_policy' undeclared here (not in a function)
> ipc/shm.c:172: error: initializer element is not constant
> ipc/shm.c:172: error: (near initialization for `shm_vm_ops.get_policy')

OK, I tracked this down to another secret dhowells diff.

config SHMEM
- default y
- bool "Use full shmem filesystem" if EMBEDDED && MMU
+ bool "Use full shmem filesystem"
+ default y if EMBEDDED
+ depends on MMU

This change permits CONFIG_SHMEM=n on !CONFIG_MMU, even if !EMBEDDED. Or
something. I'm not really sure what it's trying to do, nor am I clear on
what semantics we wanted to have for CONFIG_SHMEM on CONFIG_MMU machines.

I think the semantics we want are: you always get shmem, unless you
selected EMBEDDED. So perhaps we want:

config SHMEM
bool "Use full shmem filesystem" if EMBEDDED
depends on MMU
default y if MMU