Re: Fixing page allocation failure

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 07:12:07 EST

Morten W. Petersen wrote:
Hi all,

I have a server that a couple of times each day squirts out messages about page allocation failures (python: page allocation failure. order:3, mode:0x20). What's the reason for this, and could it affect the stability of the box?

The server that squirts these messages just crashed, for no apparent reason, so that's why I'm wondering. It's a UML box. Also, I'm wondering, are there any howto's for tweaking /proc settings so that the machine becomes more stable? Are there any settings for increasing the verbosity of the kernel log so that the reason for a server crashing is easier to find?

Thanks in advance, and please CC me any replies :)

Regards,

Morten

Yeah you can increase /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes to help the problem.

There is a possibly better solution in the -mm kernels which should get
merged into 2.6 sooner or later - but there is still no way to guarantee
safety from allocation failures. If they cause crashes then that is a
bug, so report them here with traces and a description of the workload
and system hardware, etc.

Thanks
Nick